Building Surveys FAQs
What is a building survey?
If you are buying a large or old property, or are planning major works, a RICS Building Survey is essential. It provides you with a comprehensive structural report tailored to suit your property.
This survey highlights defects, repairs and maintenance options and aims to cover all of the following:
- Establishes how the property is built, what materials are used and how these will perform in the future
- Describes visible defects, plus exposing potential problems posed by hidden defects
- Outlines the repair options and give you a repair timeline, while explaining the consequences of not acting
- Provides specific comments on energy efficiency
- Describes the construction and condition of the property on the date of the inspection
- Identifies any problems that need urgent attention or are serious
- Identifies things that need to be investigated to prevent further damage
- Tells you about problems that may be dangerous
- Shows up potential issues and defects, before any transaction takes place
- Helps you decide whether you need extra advice before committing to your purchase
- Allows you to budget for any repairs or restoration
- Provides advice on the amount of ongoing maintenance required in the future